Re: [Re] Need help with postgresql/apache/php optimisation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: [Re] Need help with postgresql/apache/php optimisation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Froggy / Froggy Corp. wrote:

> First thx for your quick answer :)
>
> iostat dont return bad load average. I never grow up to 1Mb/s and the
> IDE drive can go faster.

Well, that's for a sequential read.  It's likely your heads are racing all
over the drive to get the data they need, so don't expect 15 megs a second
on a drive with the heads moving around a bunch.

> I really can't change the server, its a locative server which i own
> (only me on the server, no cooperative, but i dont have physically
> access to it). So the configuration is ... not the best :). And at this
> time, i dont have money for server-hosting.

If you could just get them to add some more memory you'd probably be ok.
256 meg would be ok if it was nothing but a pgsql server, but having to
host apache and whatever else it's really slim pickins.

Plus if you could get another IDE drive put in and mirror the first one it
might help, especially for parallel access.

> My personnal computer is better than my server, but cant do nothing :/

Heh, that was true for me for almost a year last year...  I feel your
pain.

> There is a lot of SELECT and very few UPDATE/INSERT, so fsync will not
> really increase performance (or im in wrong about fsync).

Nope, you're right.