Re: PostgreSQL on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, John Small wrote:

> I want to use PostgreSQL on a project that will have to run on
> both Linux and Windows.  But using cygwin is not a viable option.
>
> Does the dbExpert version of PostgreSQL run natively under Windows?

I believe so, and there are a few other windows ports out there.  None of
them are of the same production quality as the main port that runs on
unix.  That said, most are quite stable and work fine.  But I wouldn't run
anything too huge on it, and I'd back it up every day to be sure.

The native port is making good progress and is looking like it will make
the 7.5 cutoff (knock on wood) or at least the next one after that should
things go horribly wrong.  So, you can probably start out with one of the
older ports (there's a lot based on 7.2 and 7.3 that are free or cheap)
and wait for the native port to come out.

That way, if you want to test the latest features in 7.4 / 7.5 beta (when
it comes out, right now it's still just in CVS) you can on unix, and also
test a bit in windows to see if it will work for you there.