Re: how to merge a table from another DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: how to merge a table from another DB
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Hought, Todd wrote:

> I have a bit of a dilemma, I'm fairly new to PG, and not quite sure how
> to do this:
> I have a DB that has been basically 'forked' - a copy of the original
> was made for a handful of users to play with without messing with the
> live DB. Now, they would like to know if the changes they have made to
> the forked db can be merged back in to the live one. A change to one
> column of every row in a certain table. How can I update just that field
> in every row of the db without harming the existing data already in that
> table?

If you're running 7.3 or above, look at merging the two databases under
one with different schemes and permissions.  then you'd be able to do
updates pretty easily.  Otherwise, you're gonna have to export / import
your data from one machine to the other with pg_dump / psql or pg_restore