Re: partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: partitioning
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> On small productions systems, single disk, etc, how do you guys like to
> partition the system? Postgres dirs also?

I'll assume you're talking Linux, but other flavors of unix would be
similar:

On small systems, I generally put a pair IDE drives in and mirror
everything from one to the other (they're cheap, and mirror sets have
saved my butt on many occasions.)

/ <- 250 Meg (including /boot
/usr <- 1 to 4 gigs
/tmp <- 1 gig
/var <- 1 gig
/db  <- where pgsql data lives, as big as it needs to be.
/www <- where apache data lives, as big as it needs to be.
/usr/local OR /opt depending on OS <- ~ 1 to 4 gig

The main reason for doing this kind of thing is so that if some process
goes nuts and fills up your logs (/var) temp directory (/tmp) or database
partition (/db) it won't bring everything else to its knees, just the area
it affected.