Re: Number of function parameter - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Number of function parameter
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Arun Desai wrote:

> Hi,
>      Why is that there is a maximum limit of 32 input parameters to the
> Postgresql function?
>

>       Whereas to my knowledge stored procedures in Oracle and SQL Server
> take unlimited number of input arguments. So this puts extra burden on the
> middleware developer to handle this stiuation at the time of migrating
> existing databases in SQL Server or Oracle to Postgresql.

Just remember, TANSTAAFL (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch)

in some way, you're paying for a limited or unlimited number of args, be
it money, performance, flexibility.  for postgresql, the payment is that
it gets pretty good performance on <=32 args, without a bunch of ugly code
to handle "unlimited" args.  note that there's still a limit, even in
Oracle, it's likely a performance enforced limit though, i.e. after 1024
args the functions get so slow as to be unusable.