Re: server layout - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: server layout
Date
List pgsql-general
On 24 Jun 2003, Joern Muehlencord wrote:

> Hi out there,
>
> I am wondering what is the right dimension for a server I have to layout
> an mantain. So, here are the specifiactions I know as far as I can know
> them already:
> - approx. 15 Users - at end of month many of them at the same time
> online
> - ca 30-40 gb data overal (few but big tables)
> - data input rarly (one user) - other just do queries and may be reports
> - no other functionality than running postgresql
>

> What I decieded to buy is: 1-2 Intel Xeon 3Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, SCSI 10k 72 gb
> disk for data, linux based, backup on ide hot plug disks
> I hope, it is the right list to ask this question; if not: sorry

General's always a good place to start.  There's also a performance tuning
list, for when you get it up and running and want it faster, and an admin
list for folks who administer boxes.

It's a good setup.  Since there's little writing, there's no need to put
the WAL files elsewhere, but I would recommend adding a second SCSI disk
and mirroring it with the first for better performance.

Be sure and test the machine thoroughly, especially your memory.  look at
www.memtest86.com for a decent memory tester.  The time to find single bit
memory errors is before you go into production.  Test the drives
thoroughly too, but being in a RAID1 will ensure that any single bit
failure will result in the drive getting kicked out of the RAID set, so
RAID is generally a safer bet right from the start.

Be sure and read up on the administrators guide on how to tune your
postgresql.conf file.