Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18 Jun 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 08:03, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> > > Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? As in swappng CPU/RAM/Add on cards on
> > > the fly?
> >
> > No CPUs or RAM.  The problem isn't the kernel, realy, it's x86 hardware.
> > The kernel guys aren't going to bother to try to support it until there's
> > hardware support.
> >
> > However for PCI cards, USB, Firewire, and SCSI devices, Linux has had
> > hotswap capability for a long while now.
>
> You mean that I can go into my white box PC and yank an unused PCI
> card from a "live" system, if it is running Linux?

I dunno, why don't you try and let us know how it works... :-)

No, you can't do it on a plain white box PC.  But there IS A standard for
PCI to let you do this that Linux does support.  Google for it.  It's
something like CPCI or something.