Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re: postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re: postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 18 Jun 2003 at 5:36, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
>>The linux kernel is supposed to have hot swappable hardware support in it
>>eventually for both those platforms, so you've got your 24/7 with no need
>

> Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? As in swappng CPU/RAM/Add on cards on
> the fly?
>
> That is news to me. Could you point me to more resources on this?

Yes, this is possible for example with Compaq hotswap controlers
(for PCI slots).
This support is in the Kernel sources at least from above 2.4.18,
where I tested it and found it working.

There might be any hardware which also supports
hotswapping of CPU or RAM, but I suspect there might be no port
of that ability to linux then. But who knows. May be S/390 from IBM?
Ask SuSE as they primary support that hardware.

Beside this you can of course hot swap USB, Firewire, SCSI and
PCMCIA/CARDBUS.

Regards
Tino