Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/06/2003 14:39 Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> > Have you considered a simple load balancing set-up? You don't
> > mention how
> > you generate the web pages - hopefully not a scripting language if
> > performance matters! If, for  instance, your application is
> > written in
> > Java/JSPs then you could set up several servers running Tomcat and
> > PostgreSQL and load balance them from an Apache web server
> > with mod_jk.
> Where would the 400-4000GB of data go in this setup? On all the distinct
> postgresql-servers? On a single SAN/NAS? (Postgresql doesn't really work
> with that, does it? At least not in a loadbalancing setup).

I think each server would need its own copy of the data as (from what I
read on this list) 2 postmasters cannot share a common database. So if the
OP wants to use PG then he is going to have to have duplicate databases.

> And why can't a scriptinglanguage not be used with loadbalancing? I know
> it is hard or impossible to get a connectionpool in such setups, but
> that doesn't mean they can't be used with loadbalancing...

I was referring to the performance of scripting languages in web
applications. Java web applications are generally much faster and, as I
pointed out, there is an OSS load balancing option available for Java.

regards

--
Paul Thomas
Business |