Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster"
Date
Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster"  ("Matthew Nuzum" <cobalt@bearfruit.org>)
List pgsql-general
> Paul Thomas wrote:
>
> On 18/06/2003 11:19 Hubert Fröhlich wrote:
> >
> > What we would like to have is some alternative concept
> which allows us
> > to use PostgreSQL on a powerful hardware to get highly
> performant and
> > higly available database access on our terabytes.
> >
> > a) Does PostgreSQL have some features using a clustered hardware?
> > b) If no, what could be an alternative hardware concept ?
> >

> > Can anybody give me some advice or some hints to somebody who could
> > help
> > us a bit further, some web page ...
>
> Have you considered a simple load balancing set-up? You don't
> mention how
> you generate the web pages - hopefully not a scripting language if
> performance matters! If, for  instance, your application is
> written in
> Java/JSPs then you could set up several servers running Tomcat and
> PostgreSQL and load balance them from an Apache web server
> with mod_jk.
Where would the 400-4000GB of data go in this setup? On all the distinct
postgresql-servers? On a single SAN/NAS? (Postgresql doesn't really work
with that, does it? At least not in a loadbalancing setup).
And why can't a scriptinglanguage not be used with loadbalancing? I know
it is hard or impossible to get a connectionpool in such setups, but
that doesn't mean they can't be used with loadbalancing...

Arjen