Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/06/2003 11:19 Hubert Fröhlich wrote:

> What we would like to have is some alternative concept which allows us
> to use PostgreSQL on a powerful hardware to get highly performant and
> higly available database access on our terabytes.
>
> a) Does PostgreSQL have some features using a clustered hardware?
> b) If no, what could be an alternative hardware concept ?
>

> Can anybody give me some advice or some hints to somebody who could help
> us a bit further, some web page ...

Have you considered a simple load balancing set-up? You don't mention how
you generate the web pages - hopefully not a scripting language if
performance matters! If, for  instance, your application is written in
Java/JSPs then you could set up several servers running Tomcat and
PostgreSQL and load balance them from an Apache web server with mod_jk.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |