Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:
Date
Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:  (Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb@eskimo.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 08:03, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> > Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? As in swappng CPU/RAM/Add on cards on
> > the fly?
>
> No CPUs or RAM.  The problem isn't the kernel, realy, it's x86 hardware.
> The kernel guys aren't going to bother to try to support it until there's
> hardware support.
>
> However for PCI cards, USB, Firewire, and SCSI devices, Linux has had
> hotswap capability for a long while now.

You mean that I can go into my white box PC and yank an unused PCI
card from a "live" system, if it is running Linux?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |