Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? [was Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18 Jun 2003 at 8:58, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 08:03, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> > > Linux supports hot-swappable hardware? As in swappng CPU/RAM/Add on cards on
> > > the fly?
> >
> > No CPUs or RAM.  The problem isn't the kernel, realy, it's x86 hardware.
> > The kernel guys aren't going to bother to try to support it until there's
> > hardware support.
> >
> > However for PCI cards, USB, Firewire, and SCSI devices, Linux has had
> > hotswap capability for a long while now.
>
> You mean that I can go into my white box PC and yank an unused PCI
> card from a "live" system, if it is running Linux?

It should be possible. Do an lsof and kill all processes using that device. Do
a rmmod, change deice and modprobe..

Not really hotswap but you don't need to take down machine at least..

Of course this is a theory.. never tried that myself..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
broad-mindedness, n:    The result of flattening high-mindedness out.