Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 April 2003 22:47, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > To the Windows guys, how do I tell them to just create a view
> > encapsulating:
> >
> > SELECT c.relname as "Name",
> >   CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table' WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i' THEN
> > 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's' THEN 'special' END as "Type",
> >   u.usename as "Owner"
> > FROM pg_class c LEFT JOIN pg_user u ON c.relowner = u.usesysid
> > WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','v','S','')
> >   AND c.relname !~ '^pg_'
> > ORDER BY 1;
> >
> > if they want a list of the tables, sequences, views and indexes in
> > postgresql.
>
> Have you used TORA any times? It does support postgresql and it does it pretty
> well..

Actually, most of the Unix guys are happy with psql, while most of the
Windows guys seem happy with pgadmin II.  But some of the developer types
are writing things that issue DDL, and they need to look at the structure
of the database in their code, and for them, the current implementation of
system tables is a bit awkward to grasp.

Plus the fact that the underlying pg_ tables are stable from release to
release makes it a bit awkward to upgrade the servers they play on.
Most of them have gone ahead and created views that give them a consistent
view of the parts of the database they need.

but it looks like there's a good chance of having views in a future
version of pgsql that are just standard built-ins that won't change
(much???) from version to version, so my problems are really not that
great over time.