Re: more contrib: log rotator - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: more contrib: log rotator
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Ed L. wrote:

> On Friday April 4 2003 10:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > I feel we really ought to have *some* rotator included in the standard
> > distro, just so that the Admin Guide can point to a concrete solution
> > instead of having to arm-wave about what you can get off the net.
> > If someone can offer a better alternative than Andrew's, great, let's
> > see it.
>
> Out of curiosity, are there issues preventing inclusion of Apache's log
> rotation code?  It seems you'd be hard-pressed to find a more
> battle-hardened log rotator.
>
> Obviously some people also wish to rotate based on log file size, so adding
> both to contrib at least seems sensible.

OK, I'm playing with the pg_ctl script that comes with 7.3, and trying to
make it startup with apaches rotatelog script, but this line won't pipe
output.  I'm a total noob at bash shell scripting, so please feel free to
snicker when you answer.

rotatelogs is in my path and all, it just never sees it.

"$po_path" ${1+"$@"} </dev/null | $PGPATH/rotatelogs $logfile $DURATION 2>&1 &