Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, David Delorme wrote:

> I am trying to integrate MapInfo with a postgresql backend.
>
> Problem:
>
> MapInfo query uses both quoted and unquoted statements i.e.
> "MAPINFO"."MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG" and mapinfo.mapinfo_mapcatalog
>
> I can not change the query statements that MapInfo uses to talk to the odbc
> driver.
>
> I am in the process of changing to grass5 for all my map production.
>
> I have a schema called MAPINFO and a table called MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG.
>
> I need to fold unquoted names to uppercase.
>

> I really only need to change this behaviour for this schema.

I'd write a program that acted as a gateway that answered odbc requests on
one side and forwarded them on to the database server on the other, and
vice versa.  I.e. proxy the database server, and fold the names yourself
to all lower case no matter what the query says.

It's a hackish kluge, but not as big of one as what MapInfo would appear
to be :-)