Re: REINDEX syntax? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: REINDEX syntax?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>  >I think you need
>  >    Reindex database "TAL" force;
>
> You're right. Could that be added to the documentation? I didn't find
> any mention that quotes where needed at:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=sql-reindex.html

That's because that's not a reindexing issue.  It's a capitalization
issue.  Postgresql folds to lower case automatically.  That is documented,
but much earlier in the documentation.

However, it's not covered in the reference documentation.  Should such
things have a section in the reference manual?  I.e. should I be able to
just read the reference docs and know this?  I would think the reference
manual should have a section on SQL compliance / differences and things
like this.  Not in the conversational tone of the User's Manual but in a
more technical documentation type format.

But how would that be organized?  What would go in it?