Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ahoward
Subject Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Karel Zak wrote:

> > >  Speed? Use MySQL :-) I think real relation database use is not about
> > >  speed only -- it means speed is not always most important argument. I
> > >  sure people use Oracle for the others features.
> >
> > Not too good of an argument. It gives an impression that postgresql community
> > want to hide behind features and claim that speed is not necessary. Sounds very

i think this a fantastic argument, one more people should consider.  if you
want speed AND a RDBMS you need to rethink your rational - for example, how
many people using mysql have schemas so simply that any key->value type
database (BDB) would suffice?  here in my group we store metadata in a
postgresql database to ensure data integrity, to foster development, and to
centralize metadata management.  accessing _any_ RDBMS (note that mysql is
_not_ a RDBMS) from our near-realtime system would be madness or expesive in
oracle's case - we offload recent versions of crucial metadata sets into
berstein's CDB (constant databases) for access by these processes, which are
read only.  even if we required write databases i would consider berkeley db,
or any other database with the overhead of parsing sql.

talking about speed and an RDBMS is like optimizing java code - just write it
in c and be done with it!

IMHO 'speed is not necessary' and impossible to acheive with _any_ RDBMS and
so should not be considered.

-a

--