Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:40:02PM +0100, Fabrizio Ermini wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2003 at 17:48, Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
>
> > also I heard that you cant do transaction within transaction in postgres
> > while in Oracle you can. ( im not sure if its true at all )
>
> nope... "commit" in Oracle close ALL open transaction.

I suspect the point is really that an error inside a transaction in
Oracle doesn't force you to roll back to the very beginning.  I
believe this is listed as "savepoints" in the current TODO.

Which reminds me of another feature PostgreSQL has.  You can buy an
awful lot of _very talented_ developer time with the fees you'd just
to use stock Oracle.  I don't know why more companies (and to date I
have to include my own employer in this category) don't spend just a
little of that savings on PostgreSQL development.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110