Re: populating db with PHP - Mailing list pgsql-php

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: populating db with PHP
Date
List pgsql-php
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Bruce Becker wrote:

> Two questions: For someone using PHP for the first time, which book is
> considered the best? Secondly could someone provide some sample code
> or direct me to some sample code for populating a database using PHP.

Not a clue on best book, as I learned PHP so long ago there literally were
no books on it back then, and I've only skimmed over a few.  The online
manual is actually pretty good is short, and www.phpbuilder.com is a great
site for finding sample code and answers...

Here's a short php script for populating a database we actually use here
at work.  note that this is a shell script, i.e. it runs as a cron job at
night, not through the web server, but just like a command like program
like a perl script or anything else.  You can easily make it a web script,
just chop off the top line and put it in a web page.

#!/usr/local/bin/php -1
<?php
$field_count = "10";
$table = "abc123";
if (!isset($argv[1])) die ("Usage: import <filename>\n\n");
else $filename = $argv[1];
$conn = pg_connect("dbname=database user=bubbahotep host=bruce");
pg_exec($conn,"begin");
$fp = fopen($filename,"r");
while (!feof($fp)) {
    $line = fgetcsv($fp,4096);
    if (count($line)!=$field_count) continue;
    $tmp = implode(":::::",$line);
    $tmp = pg_escape_string($tmp);
    $line = explode(":::::",$tmp);
    $query = "insert into $table values ('";
    $query.= implode("','",$line);
    $query.= "')";
    pg_exec($conn,$query);
}
pg_exec($conn,"end");
?>

It's short and primitive, but it works well enough