Re: Win2K Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Win2K Questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Only helps the case where you're getting a total count though, and
requires that there be a "count" variable for each table for each
transaction in progress, since each can have a different count.  But it
doesn't help at all for

select count(*) from table where id >10000;

which is also pretty common.  I think the real problem is that this is one
of those things that is quite hard to optimize in an MVCC database.

This solution may be best implemented in userland, by having a seperate
table that stores the counts of the tables you're interested in, and uses
the MVCC system to provide different counts to each transaction.

But the performance of updating that secondary table may be worse than
just running a count(*).

I doubt the black (gray??? :-) magic needed to do this will be put into
the backend of postgresql any time soon.  But the userland solution is
something that could be quite useful.