Re: Can't write lock file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Can't write lock file
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, MT wrote:

> Here are the results of
>
> df /tmp/
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6               253840    243504         0 100% /
>
> df -i /tmp/
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6              65792   24415   41377   38% /
>
> The above information seems to me contradictory in that df /tmp reports
> that 100% of my 1k-blocks are used, while df -i /tmp/ reports that only
> 38% of inodes are used. I don't know what to make of this. Nor am I sure
> if this is why I can't use postgres. Nor why this problem has occured in
> the first place.

Having inodes available won't help if your drive is full, since you have
to have blocks free to write.  note that the drive isn't really completely
full, but the space left (1,000 blocks or so) are only available for root
to write to.

That's so that root can still log in and fix the problem, etc...

You either need to free up space on your /tmp drive or make a bigger
partition for it.