Re: Problem involving checkbox and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Problem involving checkbox and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-php
You have to process the values yourself to make sure it's right.

Just do something like this:

if ($driving_required == "1") $driving_required = 't';
else $driving_required = 'f';

Then use it in your update / insert statement as usual.

On 20 Jun 2002, Jeff Self wrote:

> That only works if I leave the checkboxes checked. If I remove the
> check, I get the following error:
>
> Warning:  pg_exec() query failed:  ERROR:  Bad boolean external
> representation ''
>  in /var/www/nngov/admin/jobpostresults.php on line 66
>
> On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 13:39, Surojit Niyogi wrote:
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > Set the value parameter in the input tag
> >
> > <input type="checkbox"
> > name="driving_required" CHECKED value='1'>
> >
> > That should work I believe.
> >
> > -Surojit
> >
> > Jeff Self wrote:
> >
> > >I've got a table with a field called driving_required with a boolean
> > >type and default 'true'. I've built a web page which contains the
> > >following lines for displaying a checkbox:

> > >name="driving_required" CHECKED></td></tr>
> > >
> > >After the form is submitted, it calls a php file called
> > >jobpostresults.php which enters the data from the form into the database
> > >and displays the results on the page.
> > >
> > >Here's the section that enters the form data into the database:
> > >
> > >// Add Job Description Details
> > >$jddquery = "INSERT INTO job_description_details (description_id,
> > >effective_date, driving_required, submitted_on, submitted_by,
> > >sm_description, responsibilities, behaviors, skills, experience,
> > >requirements) VALUES
> >
>('$description_id','$effective_date','$driving_required',now(),'$submitted_by','$sm_description','$responsibilities','$behaviors','$skills','$experience','$requirements')";
> > >
> > >$jddresult = pg_exec($conn, $jddquery);
> > >if (!$jddresult)
> > >    exit;
> > >
> > >When I input the data and click on submit I get the following error
> > >message:
> > >
> > >Warning:  pg_exec() query failed:  ERROR:  Bad boolean external
> > >representation 'on'
> > > in /var/www/nngov/admin/jobpostresults.php on line 46
> > >
> > >It looks like the html form is producing 'on' for the value of
> > >driving_required. How do I get this changed to 'true' in PostgreSQL?

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

"Force has no place where there is need of skill.", "Haste in every
business brings failures.", "This is the bitterest pain among men, to have
much knowledge but no power." -- Herodotus