Re: postgresql 7.2b5 and vserver: statistics sockets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: postgresql 7.2b5 and vserver: statistics sockets
Date
Re: postgresql 7.2b5 and vserver: statistics sockets  ("Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@tincan.org>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Try creating a v_postgresql init file (attached example) and disabling
> postgresql in the main server.  PostgreSQL binds to a port like the
> other v_* services do.

There is no postgres in the main server.  The only postgres (should) run
in a vserver.  The problem is that there seems to be a bind to IP address
127.0.0.1 hardcoded in the postgresql source (see
/postgresql-7.2b5/src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c) which obviously does
not work in the vserver (exactly because it is already ip limited!)

BTW: i have edited postgresql.conf to have the postmaster bind to the
right IP address.  It is the statistics collection process that screws up
in my case (no 127.0.0.1 available).

Anyone has a patch handy by accident ? ;-)

I might just change the behavior to "bind to any port and you better have
a good firewall to protect you" ...

Regards,
Tycho