Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tille, Andreas
Subject Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > There is not much point in arguing a specific query case,
> > It is no specific query case.  It is the speed of an index scan which
> > goes like N if you do it with PostgreSQL and it goes like log N if
> > you do not have to look back into the table like MS SQL server does.
>
> Have you tried using CLUSTER to match the heap order with the index
> order.  That should help with index scans looking up heap rows.
Yes, I´ve tried even that and it increase PostgreSQLs performance a little
bit for this special query but it did not get nearly the speed of the
same query on the MS SQL server.  Moreover there are tables with more than
one index and I guess it makes only sense to cluster one index per table.

Kind regards
         Andreas.