Re: Snapshot is not working - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tille, Andreas
Subject Re: Snapshot is not working
Date
Re: Snapshot is not working  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA@rki.de> writes:
> > psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
> >         Is the postmaster running locally
> >         and accepting connections on Unix socket '/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
>
> That's not the usual location for a PG socket file.  How did you tell
> psql to look there, and are you sure the postmaster thinks the same?
> (If there's a socket file present in /tmp rather than
> /var/run/postgresql, it's a strong tipoff that you've gotten this
> wrong...)
This is in fact the case.  I wrote an /etc/init.postgresql script
which does at start:

    touch ${POSTGRES_LOG:=/var/log/postgres.log}
    chown postgres.postgres $POSTGRES_LOG
    su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data  >$POSTGRES_LOG 2>&1 &"

which is in my opinion what the INSTALL file suggests.  I don´t know
why the socket is created as /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 ?  Any idea what could
be wrong?

Kind regards

      Andreas.