Re: Can't get ODBC from Windows to Linux/Postgres to work - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: Can't get ODBC from Windows to Linux/Postgres to work
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Jeff Martin wrote:

> My clients need to access PostgreSQL data from their windows box.
> Trying to get ODBC to work from Windows to Linux/PostgreSQL.
>
> I have done the following:
>     1. configured and compiled PostgreSQL with the --enable-odbc flag
>     2. installed psqlodbc-07_01_0009.zip  on my windows box from
> odbc.postgresql.org
>     3. executed the command "psql -d template1 -f pgsql/share/odbc.sql
>     4. rebuilt my database.
>     5. created a new ODBC source on my windows bow pointing to my Linux
> machine and PostgreSQL database.
>
> I get the following error when trying to connect to the ODBC source from MS
> Access
>
> ODBC call failed:
> Could not connect to the server.
> Could not connect to the remote socket. (#101)[Microsoft][ODBC Driver
> Manager]Connection not open(#0)
>

> What step am I missing here?  Thanks for any help.

It won't hurt, but for the benefit of others: if you want to connect to PG
from Windows via ODBC, it's not neccessary to install with --enable-odbc
flag. That's to connect from Linux to Linux via ODBC.

Also, it's not strictly neccessary to add the odbc.sql stuff to the
database--these are helper functions commonly used by ODBC apps. Some apps
might not work without them, but your problem isn't related to that.

How, exactly did you set up your ODBC database source? What options?

Did you modify the postgresql.conf file to allow TCPIP connections (or,
alternatively run with the -i switch to do the same?)

Have you edited pg_hba.conf to allow connections from your Windows box's
IP?

Some help can be found on using Access with PostgreSQL at
http://joelburton.com/resources/pgaccess. Please consider adding to this
FAQ as you discover new things.

Thanks!

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant