Re: pg_toast table growth out of control - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gray
Subject Re: pg_toast table growth out of control
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 19:00, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> (resent -- mailing lists seem horked up today)
>
> I have a pg_toast table that is using up my entire storage device.  When
> I vacuum the database, it does not get smaller.  This is driving me
> crazy, since I have to dump and reload the data to shrink the database.

Are you using VACUUM FULL at all? AIUI, the current VACUUM will
generally not truncate tables -in this respect, the TOAST table is like
any other.

I would suggest running VACUUM FULL VERBOSE resp_body; and see whether
you get any different message. (this gets an exclusive lock on the
table, so it will block operations on resp_body while it operates).

Regards

John Gray