Re: Oracle news article - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Oracle news article
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Alex Pilosov wrote:

> What do you mean by connection pooling?

I mean allowing an unlimited amount of connections (as much as the process
table will allow) that are served in a round-robin basis by oracle, much
like an httpd process.  I'm tired of having to up the number of user
connections just because we get an unprecedented surge in interest from
people viewing all of our sites.

> b) perl,tcl, python programming languages (damn, how much I wished Oracle
> had perl support on backend)

Yeah, if you don't mind escaping backtics every time you turn around.  I
admit, perl in oracle would be nice.  But just like postgres, you can
expand oracle with whatever you want.  I just don't think anyone has
gotten around to doing so.  Does postgres give you the ability to define a
library of functions so you have your own index types?

> c) things like 'select foo from (select bar)'
> (I'm pretty sure oracle doesn't handle that one yet)

Yes it does.  Subselects are subselects.

> d) a decent outer join syntax (f=a(*) just doesn't cut it for complex
> queries)

Sure it does.  Besides that, I like the syntax better.  I hate having to
put almost my entire blanking query in the from section because explicit
join syntax wants to be difficult.  Want your query to be an outer join
instead?  Don't rewrite the whole query and play with join order and
possibly fsck up your application's dynamic query generator, just add a
(*) to the field you want expanded.  See?  That was easy.

But that isn't really that much of an issue.  I haven't seen a single
database other than oracle that has that nice shortcut.  I've learned to
live with it.

--
| Shaun M. Thomas                INN Database Programmer              |