Re: Oracle news article - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: Oracle news article
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Shaun Thomas wrote:

> I've used all of these features back when I was an Oracle DBA, and I can
> truly say I miss every single one.  If you really care about your data, no
> other database except maybe DB2 puts so much effort into data integrity.
> I don't get why more databases don't do this.  Especially the connection
> pooling.  Just look at any webserver to see why this is a must!
What do you mean by connection pooling?

Do you mean preforked backend servers to reduce connection time? If so:

a) It'd be fairly easy to implement for Postgres
b) Apparently nobody bothered to, because unlike oracle, it doesn't take 1
second for non-pooled backend to start up. To me, its in <100ms range,
thus, not noticable.

And I may add that Postgres has many features that rival Oracle:

a) Flexible (and extensible!) datatypes (such as inet)

b) perl,tcl, python programming languages (damn, how much I wished Oracle
had perl support on backend)

c) things like 'select foo from (select bar)'
(I'm pretty sure oracle doesn't handle that one yet)

d) a decent outer join syntax (f=a(*) just doesn't cut it for complex
queries)

-alex