Re: Where `gcc -MMD' puts .d files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Where `gcc -MMD' puts .d files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alexander Klimov writes:

> The reason is that gcc has bug (or changed feature) in determing there to
> put .d files: `gcc -MMD x/a.c -c -o x/a.o' puts a.d to the current
> directory if its version is `2.92.2 19991024', and in x, if its version is
> `3.1 20010430'.

I have a patch for (better) dependency tracking with gcc >= 3 which will
hit CVS soon.  Until then, use released compilers or don't use dependency
tracking. :-( (The last couple of times I tried gcc >= 3 with PostgreSQL
it was a complete disaster anyway, so the former is a good idea in any
case ;-).)

> BTW: Is there documentation about build process (makefiles structure,
> etc.)?

Nope.  But some should perhaps be written.

> Another tiny (for quick computer) thing: is it necessary for `make
> distclean' to call configure, or something is wrong with my environment?

Hard to tell.  Make sure the config.cache isn't messing you up.

> And yet another: is it OK for `make depend' to produce

make depend doesn't officially exist anymore.