Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1?
Date
Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1?  (Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>)
Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker writes:

> okay, not sure how we should document this, but apparently pg_dumpall
> doesn't work as the man page at:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/user/app-pgdumpall.htm
>
> appears to suggest:

> Now, I swore I did a 'setenv PGHOST db.hub.org' to get around it, and it
> still failed, but now its working ... most confusing :(
>
> But, still, pg_dumpall doesn't appear to accept the -h option in v7.0.3

Exactly right.  Options to pg_dumpall are only "pg_dump options", which
means things like -o or -d.  But pg_dumpall also runs a few psqls, which
don't see any of this.

Btw., it would really seem like a neat feature if a given pg_dump suite
would also handle the respective previous version.  Otherwise we're in a
situation like now where we've got a shiny new pg_dump but people that
want to upgrade are still stuck with the broken 7.0 incarnation.