Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 01:09 11/04/01 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Btw., it would really seem like a neat feature if a given pg_dump suite
>would also handle the respective previous version.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time, and is why I initially
backported my pg_dump changes to 7.0. Unfortunately, I did not continue,
and the backport wa targetted at 7.0, not 7.1.

I would be willing to try to get a 7.0 compatibility mode going, perhaps as
a patch/contrib after 7.1 (or before, depending on release). There is
probably not that much effort involved; the main changes to the DB
interface are in the use of formatType and the function manager defintions
- at least I think that's the case...

Peter: what options are there for getting formatType working in 7.0?

Also, just in case people can think of other dump-related changes from 7.0,
to 7.1, I have included a list below:

- LOs stored differently (one or two line change)
- formatType (a few places, but it's significant)
- function manager (SQL substitution should work here, I hope, since the
fmgr can detect the right protocol to use)
- detection of relations that are views - old isViewRule would need to be
resurrected
- last builtin OID derivation changed
- Handling of ZPBITOID & VARBITOID types? Not sure if this is OK for 7.0

Unfortunately, I have not paid much attention to internal changes from 7.0
to 7.1, so I have no idea what else was changed.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/