Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Btw., it would really seem like a neat feature if a given pg_dump suite
> would also handle the respective previous version.  Otherwise we're in a
> situation like now where we've got a shiny new pg_dump but people that
> want to upgrade are still stuck with the broken 7.0 incarnation.

No more stuck than they were if they had needed to reload from their
dump files into 7.0.

I really doubt that it's worth going out of our way to try to keep
pg_dump compatible with obsolete backends.  If we had infinite manpower,
then sure, but I think the time is better spent elsewhere.