Re: Commercial binary support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nigel J. Andrews
Subject Re: Commercial binary support?
Date
Re: Commercial binary support?  (Austin Gonyou <austin@coremetrics.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I think what the person is looking for is:
>
>   COMPANY PostgreSQL for Red Hat Enterprise 3.0.
>
>   They probably have some commercial mandate that says that they have
> to have a commercial company backing the product itself. This doesn't
> work for most PostgreSQL companies because they back the "Open Source"
> version of PostgreSQL.
>
>   Where someone like Command Prompt, although we happily support the
> Open Source version, we also sell Command Prompt PostgreSQL.

That was sort of my point. I currently have a 7.3 installation for which I have
my own patches applied, for tsearch2, and for which I run my own CVS of the
cpntrob module. It seems this module isn't maintained in the community, what
with it being a 7.4 thing really. My company is the sys. admin., DBA and DB
developer for the project, except for the production server sys. admin.. These
mods weren't applied because the client was asking for them but because I knew
the faults existed, even though the project wasn't kicking them.

Does that mean I have supplied Logictree Systems PostgreSQL? PostgreSQL with
Logictree Systems TSearch2? And if I'd made no modifications to the code? I
suppose I could have insisted that a separate contract be taken for the supply
and support on top of the app. development contract. In fact, having written
that I'm starting to think that should be the case.

--
Nigel Andrews