Re: Can't write lock file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nigel J. Andrews
Subject Re: Can't write lock file
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, MT wrote:

> Here are the results of
>
> df /tmp/
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6               253840    243504         0 100% /
>
> df -i /tmp/
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6              65792   24415   41377   38% /
>
> The above information seems to me contradictory in that df /tmp reports
> that 100% of my 1k-blocks are used, while df -i /tmp/ reports that only
> 38% of inodes are used. I don't know what to make of this. Nor am I sure
> if this is why I can't use postgres. Nor why this problem has occured in
> the first place.

Well you must have some large files if there is a disproportionate use of disk
space verses inodes.

You should try and track down where and what they are. Are your log directories
on the same filesystem as /? What about other entries in /tmp?

Try using du -sk /* as a starting point.

--
Nigel J. Andrews