Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.)
Date
Re: Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.)  (Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-hackers@empires.org>)
Re: Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.)  (Alessio Bragadini <alessio@albourne.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 12 Oct 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera kirjutas L, 12.10.2002 kell 04:16:
> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 07:08:18PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> >
> > > And it really is a minor matter of convenience. I end up dropping and
> > > recreating all my tables a lot in the early stages of development, which is
> > > mildly annoying. Certainly not as bad, I suppose, as if you're led to believe
> > > that a feature does something safely, and it kills all your data.
> >
> > Now that ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN is implemented, there probably isn't
> > any more the need to do such frequent drop/create of tables.
>
> Did attlognum's (for changing column order) get implemented for 7.2 ?

I cannot think of any reason why changing column order should be
implemented in Postgres. Seems like a waste of time/more code bloat for
something which is strictly asthetic.

Regardless, I do have collegues/clients who ask when such a feature will
be implemented. Why is this useful?

Gavin