Re: Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alessio Bragadini
Subject Re: Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 11:37, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> I cannot think of any reason why changing column order should be
> implemented in Postgres. Seems like a waste of time/more code bloat for
> something which is strictly asthetic.
>
> Regardless, I do have collegues/clients who ask when such a feature will
> be implemented. Why is this useful?

Has column ordering any effect on the physical tuple disposition? I've
heard discussions about keeping fixed-size fields at the beginning of
the tuple and similar.

Sorry for the lame question. :-)

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"    -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925