Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jessica Perry Hekman
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > What's wrong with simply issueing set query_timeout
> > command just before every query ?
>
> You could do that, but we also imagine cases where people would want to
> set a timeout for each query in an entire session.

One approach might be for the interface to take care of setting the query
timeout before each query, and just ask the backend to handle timeouts
per-query. So from the user's perspective, session-level timeouts would
exist, but the backend would not have to worry about rolling back
timeouts.