Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jessica Perry Hekman
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

>     Why  don't  we  use  two separate GUC variables and leave the
>     BEGIN syntax as is completely?
>
>         SET transaction_timeout = m;
>         SET statement_timeout = n;

What's a GUC variable? Would this apply to all subsequent statements? I
think it needs to apply to just the specified statement.

I'm sorry about the confusion earlier when I said that
setQueryTimeout() was transaction-level; Barry Lind correctly pointed out
that it is statement-level. We mostly seem to feel that we don't want to
do both, so is statement-only okay? Jan, do you feel strongly that you
want to see both implemented?

>     If   you   want   to  go  sub-second,  I  suggest  making  it
>     microseconds. That's what  struct  timeval  (used  in  struct

I don't think that's necessary. JDBC only wants it specified in seconds.