Re: Re[4]: Postgres is too slow? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos
Subject Re: Re[4]: Postgres is too slow?
Date
Re: Re[4]: Postgres is too slow?  (Martin Weinberg <weinberg@osprey.astro.umass.edu>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Alex Pilosov wrote:

> Whoa! Your drive is only capable of 3M/s (640M/213 sec) transfer! Your
> data set is 500K*200 bytes=100M. No surprise your queries take 30 seconds
> to run, since its exactly how much it'd take to transfer 100M of data from
> your drive.
>
> Please read Linux IDE tuning documentation, or upgrade to more recent
> kernel. You must be using DMA to get any sort of performance with
> Linux on IDE drive.

Had the same problem with a disk and boosted its performance with hdparm (4->35Mb/s). I don't know if this was the
reasonI started getting the message "-- MARK --" in my syslog's files (20min intervals) or I just hadn't noticed them
earlier.Any idea what it means?

TIA,
thalis