Re: sum of row values.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos
Subject Re: sum of row values..
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Fabrizio Mazzoni wrote:

> hi all..
> i have a big problem..why is this impossible in postgresql:
>
> table test: (1 column)
>
> first
> ------
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
>

> select first as value, value*2 as result from test;
>
> How can i accomplish this?? I need it for a very big table that will use
> also functions in it..
>
> Thanks..

You should have got an error that attribute 'value' doesn't exist (for the value*2 calculation). You cannot user the
aliasof an attr from a select clause to do calculation on it. Use the attribute's original name instead:

select first as lala,first*2 as hoho from test;

cheers,
thalis