Re: ideas on optimization - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos
Subject Re: ideas on optimization
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12 Jun 2001, Doug McNaught wrote:

> "Andy Jenks" <andy@compete.com> writes:
>
> > currently we are testing postgres vs DB2 on speed and scalability.  our test
> > database is approx 30GB and we are running freeBSD 4.3-STABLE with a 733MHZ
> > processor and 1GB of ram with postgres 7.1.2.  our postgres queries are
> > taking over 4min while our DB2 queries are taking less than 30 sec.  this is
> > really bad considering our DB will grow to over 6TB for 1 year worth of
> > data.  Can postgres handle this, and is there a way to optimize the
> > postmaster to use all the system resources that it needs.  currently we
> > start the postmaster this way:
> > pg_ctl -o "-o -F -B 3000 -N 2 -ps -pn" start
> > any help would be great.
>
> It would help if you post your schema (including indexes), and the
> EXPLAIN output from the queries you're testing.  I'm not an SQL
> optimization guru (yet) but there are plenty of people on the list
> that are.
>
> -Doug

Sorry for interrupting, but I also have a question. About -B 3000 the manual mentions:

SHARED_BUFFERS (integer)
     Sets the number of shared memory buffers the database server will use. The default is 64. Each buffer is typically
8192bytes. This option can only be set at server start

Does this refer to the shared memory segment i.e. the one I can set through /proc/sys/kernel/shmall in my linux box?
Can somebody give the relation that should be retained between the total memory and shared buffers?

In postgresql.conf (Pg 7.1.1) it says "shared_buffer=2*max_connections # min 16". So if he's set -N 2 does it make any
senseto have -B 3000?

TIA,
thalis