Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> Philip pointed out awhile back that it does not work to load a 7.0.*
> dump into current sources if the dumped database contains any
> procedural language definitions.  The dumped handler-function
> definitions will look like
>
> CREATE FUNCTION "plpgsql_call_handler" ( ) RETURNS opaque AS
> '/opt/postgres/lib/plpgsql.sl' LANGUAGE 'C';
>
> which was correct for 7.0.* ... but under 7.1 the handler functions
> use the new-style function manager API and therefore need to be
> declared as LANGUAGE 'newC'.

I don't really have a better idea, but consider if you installed 7.1 into
/opt/postgres71:  then this dump will load the old version of plpgsql.sl.
Assuming that that would work in the first place, LANGUAGE 'C' is correct.

Btw., could we use something other than 'newC'?  It's going to get old
really fast (pun intended).  Maybe 'Cv2' or something along these lines?