Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't really have a better idea, but consider if you installed 7.1 into
> /opt/postgres71:  then this dump will load the old version of plpgsql.sl.

True, but absolute paths in a dump file are a different (and
long-standing) issue.

> Assuming that that would work in the first place, LANGUAGE 'C' is correct.

It wouldn't work, so that's irrelevant.  The PL handlers know way more
than the average user-defined function about backend innards, and aren't
usually cross-version compatible.  They won't be this time, for sure.

> Btw., could we use something other than 'newC'?  It's going to get old
> really fast (pun intended).  Maybe 'Cv2' or something along these lines?

Where were you six months ago? ;-(  It's a bit late in the dev cycle to
be running around renaming this kind of stuff...