Re: /contrib/soundex doesn't work. Version 7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: /contrib/soundex doesn't work. Version 7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-bugs
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:

> The code in /contrib/soundex doesn't work. It does compile though. I
> create the function in the database, but it always returns nothing
> (blank)!

Hmm, while I can confirm that the soundex algorithm is implemented
incorrectly I never get blanks only.  Check that you have defined the
function like this:

    CREATE FUNCTION soundex(text) RETURNS text AS
      '/some/where/soundex.so', 'text_soundex' LANGUAGE 'C';

(ignore the stuff in soundex.sql, it's broken).

To get a correct implementation of soundex, apply the attached patch.
You need to restart the server to get it to load the new object file.

Also note that there is a disagreement among experts over one particular
part of the algorithm.  Check it out with your favourite search engine.