Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marcelo Pereira
Subject Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle
Date
Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle  (Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>)
Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle  (common <common_mailbox@21cn.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello All,

I don't want to compare PostgreSQL and Oracle thinking about money.

What about speed?? Is Oracle faster than PostgreSQL?? Why?? I believe
that some day the PostgreSQL development team will improve the engine and
it will be as fast as Oracle.

Someone tell about database replication, but isn't PostgreSQL supporting
it??

I don't plan to use Oracle, I just want to have solid arguments to say
PostgreSQL is as good as Oracle. There are *a lot* of person that think
Oracle is better because it is not free. To tell the truth, I know lots of
people that preffer Windows instead Linux, Oracle instead PostgreSQL,
... , non-free instead free, without any kind of knowledge, just because
it isn't free and came with a full color manual on a brighting (also full
color) box.

See ya,

Marcelo Pereira

-- Remember that only God and ^[:w saves.
        __
       (_.\           © Marcelo Pereira     |
        / / ___       marcelo@pereira.com   |
       / (_/ _ \__    [Math|99]-IMECC       |
_______\____/_\___)___Unicamp_______________/

--- Lee Harr, with your fast fingers, wrote:

:> > What does Oracle have that Postgresql doesn't have? Why does people
:> > continue thinking that Oracle is better than PostgreSQL?
:> >
:> > How can I compare it??
:> >
:>
:> Actually, your Oracle license may forbid this.
:>
:> ;-)
:>
:>
:> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
:>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
:>