Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From common
Subject Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Marcelo,

MP> Hello All,

MP> I don't want to compare PostgreSQL and Oracle thinking about money.

MP> What about speed?? Is Oracle faster than PostgreSQL?? Why?? I believe
MP> that some day the PostgreSQL development team will improve the engine and
MP> it will be as fast as Oracle.

MP> Someone tell about database replication, but isn't PostgreSQL supporting
MP> it??

MP> I don't plan to use Oracle, I just want to have solid arguments to say
MP> PostgreSQL is as good as Oracle. There are *a lot* of person that think
MP> Oracle is better because it is not free. To tell the truth, I know lots of
MP> people that preffer Windows instead Linux, Oracle instead PostgreSQL,
MP> ... , non-free instead free, without any kind of knowledge, just because
MP> it isn't free and came with a full color manual on a brighting (also full
MP> color) box.

MP> See ya,

MP> Marcelo Pereira

MP> -- Remember that only God and ^[:w saves.
MP>         __
MP>        (_.\           © Marcelo Pereira     |
MP>         / / ___       marcelo@pereira.com   |
MP>        / (_/ _ \__    [Math|99]-IMECC       |
MP> _______\____/_\___)___Unicamp_______________/

MP> --- Lee Harr, with your fast fingers, wrote:

:>> > What does Oracle have that Postgresql doesn't have? Why does people
:>> > continue thinking that Oracle is better than PostgreSQL?
:>> >
:>> > How can I compare it??
:>> >
:>>
:>> Actually, your Oracle license may forbid this.
:>>
:>> ;-)
:>>
:>>
:>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
:>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
:>>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
:>>

MP> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
MP> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Oracle will not sale just RDBMS, in my opinion, PostGreSQL is just an
RDBMS, in the functionality comparison, the difference is not that
huge, even speed! You know, performance depends on kernel-
application-data-structure-based dynamic tuning!

Oracle like Microsoft, I would rather said, they are both software
integrators. If you have time, you can check the Oracle products out,
you will find that thousands of Tools, Sets, Suites, applications,
file system, e-mail server, even OS (do you still remember years ago,
SUN and Oracle declared a project to make a ORACLE-BOX!!!)

Guys like me would like to try to fix things in a new way, but the
BOSS would not!

--
Best regards,
 common                            mailto:common_mailbox@21cn.com