Re: [SQL] Limit rows - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stuart Rison
Subject Re: [SQL] Limit rows
Date
List pgsql-sql
So long as you have a numerical identifier for the 'first' row you are
interested in you should be able to do something like:

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE numerical_field>=23 ORDER BY
numerical_field LIMIT 5;

This will pick the row 23 and the next 4 rows regardless of any gaps in
the sequence.

HTH,

Stuart

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Mark Jewiss wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm still thinking about ways to extract specific rows of data from a
> table, whilst ignoring others. i.e. I want to see rows 3-7 inclusive from
> a table.
>
> Assume that I don't have a numerical identifier - I do, but I can't use
> that as rows from this table may be deleted at some point, thereby
> knocking the id row out of sequence.
>
> Basically I want to be able to do something like this:
>
> select * from table ignore 10 limit 5;
>
> I can't use cursors, which are ideal for this I know.
>
> Is there such a thing in SQL or pgsql specifically? If not I'll have to
> write something....
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.
> --
> Mark Jewiss
> Knowledge Matters Limited
> http://www.knowledge.com

Stuart C. G. Rison
6th floor, Darwin Building, University College London (UCL)
Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Tel. 0207 504 2303, Fax. 0207 380 7033
e-mail: rison@biochem.ucl.ac.uk