Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB??
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Brian wrote:
>
> > Would something like this be appropriate?
> >
> > /usr/bin/postmaster -B 256 -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql -o -F -B 256 -S 1024
> >
> > or should -B just be in their once? in the postmaster setting?
>
> Just once.  If you pass it back to a backend from the postmaster, the
> postmaster handles the allocation as shared memory buffers.  Here's what
> the man page for postgres says:
>
> -B n_buffers
>               If the backend is  running  under  the  postmaster,
>               n_buffers  is  the  number of shared-memory buffers
>               that the postmaster has allocated for  the  backend
>               server processes that it starts.  If the backend is
>               running standalone, this specifies  the  number  of
>               buffers  to  allocate.   This value defaults to 64,
>               and each buffer is 8k bytes.
>
> I am assuming here, of course, that this didn't change betwen 6.3 and 6.4
> (which is what I am using).

ok, so then I am assuming:

/usr/bin/postmaster -B 256 -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql -o -F -S 1024

is what I would want...............

> Brett W. McCoy
>                                          http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
> "A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line today.  The results blacked
> out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."
>         -- Steel City News

Brian Feeny (BF304)     signal@shreve.net
318-222-2638 x 109    http://www.shreve.net/~signal
Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)